Absolute Location: Thirty degrees North and Thirty-one degrees East
Created by: Emily W
Relative Location: Cairo, Egypt ( It is NE from my home)
Distance From My Home: 6, 273 miles
My Place is Famous for: Its size and its physical characteristics.
Description: Enormous sculpture made from sandstone carved by the Ancient Egyptions. It is a cross between a lion and a human.
Three Interesting Facts
- Its size is 241 feet long and is 65 feet high.
- The Sphnix has been estimated to have been built in the year 2500 BC during the time of the pharoah Chephren.
- The name 'Sphnix' means strangler
The Sphnix looks to have begun in Egypt first forming a sun god.
A legandary story claimes that King Thutsmose when he was a young prince, went out hunting and dozed off in the shadow of the Sphnix. In his dream the Sphnix told him that if he would clear away the sand that was choking him, he would grant him the power of being king. King Thutsmose did as he was told, and the Sphnix rewarded him.
- Picture. October 11, 2002. http://www2.eng.usf.edu/main.asp
- The Great Sphinx, http://www.touregypt.net/sphinx.htm, Jimmy Dunn, October 5, 2002.
- How Far Is It?. October 12, 2002. http://www.indo.com/distance/
- Architectural Design Images History 3D Models. October 11, 2002. http://www.GreatBuildings.com/
- Latitude and Longitude. October 10, 2002. www.astro.com
Date Created: October 16, 2002
Return to Famous Places Projects Page.